Hotmail offer a free POP3 service which allows you to receive all your emails on your HTC Desire. If you have a @hotmail.com address then it’s really easy. You just enter your email and password in the Mail application and it does the rest of the setup for you.
If You Have A @live.com or @hotmail.co.uk Account:
- If you have a @hotmail.com email address then stop here. Read the first paragraph of this article, because that’s all you need 😉
- Open the Mail app on your Desire
- If you already have another email account setup then press Menu > More > New account
- Select Other (POP3/IMAP).
- Select Manual setup at the bottom
- Enter the following settings:
Email address: your email address
Username: your email address again (full)
Password: your account password
POP Server: pop3.live.com
Security Type: SSL
Server Port: 995
- Press Next and the Outgoing server settings screen will appear
If you get an error message at this point double-check all the settings above. Make sure your username is the same as your email address.
- For the Outgoing Server Settings use the following options (bear in mind quite a few of the boxes will already be filled in for you):
Login required: Make sure it’s checked/ticked
Username: Your full email address
Password: Your Hotmail password
SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
Security Type: TLS
Server Port: 25
- Press Next
- Give it a meaningful Account name (this just comes up on your Accounts list – it’s not displayed on outgoing emails)
In Your name enter your actual name – this is what will appear as the “From” value on outgoing emails
- Press Finish Setup
- Your account is now setup. You can press Menu > More > Settings to configure options such as:
- Disable the “Sent from my HTC” signature
- Change how frequently your Hotmail account is checked
- Change how you’re notified of new email
- Loads more, just have a look yourself!
- I get “Cannot connect to the mail server to verify your account information. Your server is not responding” message when I press Next on the Outgoing Server Settings screen
A: Try server port 587 instead of 25
This article is a response to many people who’ve asked me how to do this on their Desire. I’ve always pointed them to webpages with the Hotmail POP3 settings but thought it’s about time I wrote it up as a step-by-step.
If you have any questions, notice any errors, or have extra information regarding this guide then please post in the comments or send me an email. Thanks!