Chrome-To-Phone is a nifty little tool that let’s you send maps, videos, web links and text from your web browser to your Android phone.
- Android 2.2 running on your Desire
- Chrome-To-Phone App (link at end of post)
- Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browser on your computer
- Install the Chrome To Phone app on your Desire (search “Chrome to Phone” in the Market)
- If you’re using Mozilla Firefox get the Fox-to-Phone addon from here and install it
If you’re using Google Chrome get the Google Chrome to Phone extension from here and install it
- Run the Chrome To Phone app on your phone:
- select the Gmail account you want to use
- choose whether you want links to open automatically – I prefer manual
- Login to GMail on your browser – use the same address as the one you selected in Chrome to Phone
- That’s it – you’re ready for Chrome to Phone!
Using Chrome to Phone
You can now send content from your web browser to your phone:
Right-click any image on a page and select “Send this image to Android” to view it on your phone
Highlight any text, right-click and choose “Send this text to Android”. The text will be copied to your phones clipboard and you can post it into any input box.
When you’ve sent content to your phone it’ll either open automatically, or appear as a notification (depending on your preference in Chrome to Phone), and you can click the notification to view the page in your phone browser:
Special Link Types
When you send certain link types they’ll be opened in a specific application. Details are as follows:
- YouTube – any YouTube pages will be opened in the YouTube application
- Maps – if you send a Google Maps page it’ll open in the Google Maps app
- smsto:// – if a webpage has a link using the smsto:// protocol it will open in your default messaging application with the recipient field filled in
- market:// – any market links will launch the Android Market
- tel:// – will open your default call application and dial in the number for you
Chrome to Phone Mobile App
The Chrome to Phone mobile app can be found in the Android Market. Details are:
Google Chrome to Phone
Send links, maps, phone numbers, & more from your Chrome browser to your phone!
Author: Google Inc.
Google Chrome to Phone lets you easily share links, maps, and currently selected phone numbers and text between your computer running Chrome and your phone. You also need to install the Chrome browser extension on your computer, which can be found by searching for ‘Chrome to Phone’ at http://chrome.google.com/extensions/